We all know grilled cheese is awesome, just the way we had it as kids. But try these tips to make it MORE awesome, and you will never eat it plain again. If you are gluten-free like me, I recommend Udi’s white sandwich bread for grilled cheese. Note: do not combine all of these tips on one sandwich.
1. Stop using American cheese. Buy the Sargento cheddar & mozzarella slices. So good! Or try more unique cheeses, like Brie, asiago, Gouda…mmmm.
2. Once you spread butter on 1 side of each bread slice, sprinkle that side with garlic powder and dried basil or oregano. It’s like a garlic bread cheese party in your mouth.
3. Add tomatoes, sweet onions, or fresh spinach.
4. Add pesto.
5. Add guacamole or salsa. Dip in low-fat sour cream to eat.
6. Add more pesto.
7. Make it caprese: use olive oil instead of butter, use fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, and Roma tomatoes as your filler.
8. Add corn tortilla chips for a crunch factor
Try any of these tips the next time you make grilled cheese, and I guarantee you’ll be in love! If you have other ways to make grilled cheese more awesome, please feel free to share!